What Moves the Dead - T. Kingfisher

 


As a longtime lover of Poe's classic "Fall of the House of Usher," I had high hopes that "What Moves the Dead" would simultaneously feel familiar and yet unique as a fresh retelling of Poe's original story. 

I loved every page! 

In this novella, T. Kingfisher manages to preserve the most powerful elements of Poe's gothic horror while telling what truly felt like a new, intriguing story. Her telling of the Usher house went deeper, perhaps darker, and built incredible suspense that Poe's short story does not have simply due to its length. 

Kingfisher's prose is poetic, hauntingly descriptive, and still easy-enough-to-read for the everyday reader. It's not often that I find myself satisfied with the character development in a novella (particularly in the horror genre where suspense takes center stage), but I loved Easton the protagonist and the representation they brought to the story as well as the rest of the character ensemble. It took me a few pages to adapt to the various new sets of pronouns introduced in this work (ka/kan, va/van), but I appreciated the newness they brought to the story and the challenge they presented. Trust me--you can do it. You will still be able to read and fully appreciate this story with unfamiliar pronouns. 

If you're a fan of Poe, gothic horror, and retellings of classics, you will devour this title. Further, if you're among the few (and I know you're out there!) devout lovers of Poe that simply wish "Fall of the House of Usher" was longer--there isn't a story out there more perfect for you. It was unnerving reading this at night, and I'm still thinking about it. With this being my first T. Kingfisher read, I can't wait to dive into more of her work. 

Rating: 5 Stars

Publication Details: Out 7/12/2022, Tor Nightfire 

Huge thank you to NetGalley & the publisher for providing my review copy!

Popular posts from this blog

Let Him In - William Friend

Dreaming of Water - A.J. Banner

Notes on Your Sudden Disappearance - Alison Espach