Hide - Kiersten White

 



The stars I gave "Hide," one of my most-anticipated books of this summer, are really just for concept alone. Kiersten White had such a unique, potentially-extraordinary concept on her hands with a group of strangers hiding out in an abandoned amusement park for a competition, but (in my opinion) she totally under-delivered and the book fell flat.

It took a solid 100 pages for the world of “Hide” to be established, and even once it was, I found myself struggling to keep track of our cast of characters and to find any kind of emotional investment in them. Talk about a slow burn supposedly action-packed thriller?

The odd, sort of clunky writing style here really stalled the action for me; there were so many points in this book where I was hoping for more excitement, more horror, and just more substance. This read like a been-there-done-that, low-budget horror movie from the plot to the dialogue, and it pains me to say that. I wanted to love it so much, but found it to be a waste of time.

Rating: 2 stars
Publication Details: Out Now, Random House

Popular posts from this blog

Let Him In - William Friend

Dreaming of Water - A.J. Banner

Notes on Your Sudden Disappearance - Alison Espach