The Puzzle Master - Danielle Trussoni

 


Puzzle master Mike Brink once lead an ordinary life. When a chance accident derailed his hopes of an athletic scholarship, he learned that he had been left with extraordinary--and nearly unfathomable--abilities: a photographic memory, the ability to perceive patterns in milliseconds, an affinity for some of the world's most complex and difficult ciphers. By all accounts, Mike Brink was content to continue his work writing puzzles for the New York Times.

Until, that is, he's summoned to a New York women's prison and has a startling encounter with disgraced writer Jess Price, whose story of unprompted violence and murder shocked the nation. What ensues after Brink's meeting with Jess and Dr. Thessaly Moses, the prison's psychiatrist, is a heart-pounding, multi-layered race against time with a mysterious "God Puzzle" at the center of it all. In an instant, Brink is thrust out of his comfortable world of puzzle creation and into a battle for humanity's future--it's a responsibility he didn't ask for, but one that his unforeseen gifts have bestowed upon him.

Without a doubt, "The Puzzle Master" is a fast-paced, action-packed story that unravels layer by layer with a complexity I initially doubted would be present. For lovers of the "National Treasure" saga as well as Dan Brown devotees, I have a feeling this story will be right up your alley. Despite Trussoni's undoubtedly well-researched plot (not just puzzles, but ancient theology and linguistics too?) and solid writing, I interestingly-enough found myself thinking at several points throughout the story that I would rather see this on the big screen as a movie. 

For me, "The Puzzle Master" reads like a fully-formed movie; for all of the different POVs, the dramatic flashbacks, the explosive action, the sudden appearance of new, crucial characters, I at points had difficulty keeping track of everything that was happening simultaneously in the plot. 

An interesting departure from my usual genres, this was one that I think I had to be in a very specific mood to read. I found myself wishing I had more of an emotional connection to Mike Brink and his journey in decoding "The God Puzzle" (thwarted most likely by the sheer amount of characters that come out of the woodwork by the end) but can still appreciate Trussoni's ability to pen such a gripping story.

Rating: 3 Stars
Publication Details: Out Today (6/13/2023), Random House Publishing

*Many thanks to NetGalley & the publisher for providing me with my arc of this title!*


Popular posts from this blog

Let Him In - William Friend

Dreaming of Water - A.J. Banner

Notes on Your Sudden Disappearance - Alison Espach