Stay Awake - Megan Goldin



This was a solid thriller; fast-paced, easy-to-read, and a uniquely-exciting plot in the vein of the movie "Memento." Liv Reese must stay awake in order to piece together the murky details of her own life, because every time she falls asleep, her memory of the last two years is mysteriously gone the moment she wakes up. Liv's life--both past and present--is riddled with unreliable characters, and without her own memory to rely on, it's impossible for Liv to know who to trust. What she does know when she wakes, is that something is wrong. 

Parts of this thriller really worked for me. I loved the chapters written from Liv's perspective and how the missing pieces of her story gradually came together. The plot felt fresh and kept me turning the pages late at night past when I should have been reading. The chapters centering on the police investigation side of the plot felt a bit dull and lacked the depth that Liv's chapters had; ultimately, I never got to the point where I cared about either of the detectives or the procedural side to the mystery, and pushed myself through those chapters to get back to Liv's story. 

Overall a well-written, exhilarating thriller, I have a feeling this will be a crowd-pleaser for anyone who loved "Girl on the Train" and "Woman in the Window." 

Rating: 4 Stars rounded up
Publication Details: Out 8/9/2022, St. Martin's Press

Huge thank you to NetGalley & the publisher for providing my review copy!

Popular posts from this blog

Let Him In - William Friend

Dreaming of Water - A.J. Banner

Notes on Your Sudden Disappearance - Alison Espach