The House Across the Lake - Riley Sager

 


Hear me when I say, readers, that Riley Sager is back. Despite his near universal praise, I've really only liked "The Last Time I Lied" and loved "Home Before Dark." The rest of his books left little to no impact on me, and so when "The House Across the Lake" hit bookshelves everywhere, I told myself I'd give him one more chance. And am I ever glad that I did.

Let's talk setting first: a family lakefront house in the deep woods of Vermont. This book is atmospheric and beautifully so; I thought Sager's descriptive writing really shined in this book in ways it hasn't before. 

Now let's talk characters: our unreliable narrator and troubled alcoholic Casey Fletcher relocates to her family lake house to find solitude and escape the grief of unexpectedly losing her husband, Len. The glamorous yet mysterious Katherine and Tom Royce arrive shortly afterward to their own lake house, and soon Casey finds herself watching them (a la "Girl on the Train" and "The Woman in the Window"), not at all prepared for what she sees. 

When I tell you that Sager indeed has taken the domestic thriller genre and totally turned it on its head, I mean it. The twists in this story will either have you IN or OUT, with no in between. Giving even a hint of how this turns out would undoubtedly ruin it, but if you simply must know where this heads, ask me for another comparison that'll clue you in.

I personally was shocked, wildly entertained, and found a depth to this story that I hadn't previously found in Sager's earlier works simply because of his originality here.

If you think you can predict where this goes, think again. Run don't walk to read this one, buckle up, and let me know if you were all in, or all out.

Rating: 5 Stars 
Publication Details: Out Now, Dutton

Popular posts from this blog

Let Him In - William Friend

Dreaming of Water - A.J. Banner

Notes on Your Sudden Disappearance - Alison Espach